he Vice President, Dr Mahamudu Bawumia, has assured victims and residents of the Bogoso explosion that the government would ensure that new buildings are constructed for them.
Dr. Bawumia made this known when he led a government delegation to the area on Friday, 21st January 2022 in order to assess the situation.
He commended the Police, the Ghana Fire Service, NADMO and the Military for their rescue efforts since the disaster occurred on Thursday.
“So the government on his part is going to do everything to support the families of the injured. Thankfully, the ambulance service has played a major role in the rescue efforts that were very well coordinated by the security services.
“We are also looking at how all those injured are taken care of. Some have been sent to Tarkwa, Kumasi and some would be sent to Accra to get the best care. For the houses that have been destroyed, we are beginning to think about how to rehabilitate and rebuild. I have already spoken to the State Housing Corporation in consultation with mining companies, we will put in place facilities for the displaced persons,” he assured.
Dr Bawumia further assured the residents that the government would fully be engaged in every process in giving the community the best of care.
He said before an investigation commenced the government is more concerned, about “how to complete the rescue efforts, how to take care of the injured, families and people who have survived. So we are going to work collaboratively to make sure that all of that is happening.”
The government has said 17 people have so far been confirmed dead in the explosion which occurred at Appiatse, along the Bogoso- Bawdie road in the Western Region.
A government statement also noted 59 people were injured in the explosion.
“A total of seventeen (17) people have, sadly, been confirmed dead, and fifty-nine (59) injured persons had been rescued, bringing to seventy-six (76) the number of persons known, so far, to have been affected by the tragedy.
“Out of the fifty-nine (59) injured persons, forty-two (42) are receiving treatment and some in critical condition.
“Early reports indicate that several houses and structures in sections of the town have been destroyed and plans have been put in place to ensure that stranded community members are catered for in the coming days,” portions of the statement noted.