The Foreign Affairs Ministry has dismissed claims by UK newspapers suggesting that the British authorities have drawn up some measures to send migrants to countries such as Rwanda and Ghana for processing and resettlement.
“It has come to the attention of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration that UK newspapers this morning reported details of a document dubbed “Operation Dead Meat”, which contains, among others, a measure supposedly being drawn up by UK authorities to “send migrants to countries such as Rwanda and Ghana for processing and resettlement”.
“The Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Regional Integration wishes to state categorically that Ghana has not engaged with the UK on any such plan and does not intend to consider any such operation in the future,” a statement by the Foreign Affairs Ministry stated.
The Dailymail newspaper reported on Monday that asylum seekers could be flown to Ghana and Rwanda under plans to deter migrant Channel crossings.
British Ministers were said to be drawing up proposals that would see people arriving illegally in the UK sent abroad for processing and resettlement.
The arrangements would see the UK pay another nation to take on the responsibility but no country has so far agreed to do so.
It was reported in November last year that Albania was being considered as one potential destination but those talks are said to have collapsed.