Volta 1 TV has been adjudged the *2018 Tourism-oriented Media of the Year* in the Volta region.
The region’s premier and first privately-owned television station was so honoured alongside some 30 other industry players and stakeholders at this year’s Regional Tourism Awards ceremony held on Saturday February 16, 2018, in Ho. Awards were given to deserving recipients under both honorary and competitive categories.
The Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Shekinah Glory Hotel at Sogakorpe in the South Tongu District was the recipient of the 2018 Tourism Personality of the Year (honorary) award.
Mr Mitch Kobla Woolams, Proprietor of Aborigines Resort at Keta, bagged the Best Tourism Promoter for 2018 award while Mr Harrison Kofi Belle, Editor of the Ho-based Lake Newspaper, emerged Best Tourism Writer of the Year.
GEK Media Communications took away the Tourism Event Organiser award, with the Development Institute, a Non-Governmental Organisation, honoured for their commitment to developing tourism sites in the region.
Other awardees were:
- Volta Serene Hotel (Ho) Outstanding Promoter of Tourism for the year
- Chances Hotel (Ho) Best Three Star Hotel.
- Freedom Hotel, (Ho) Best Two Star Hotel.
- Sogakofe Beach Resort (Sogakope) “New Commer”of the year,
- Travellers Inn (Dzodze, Ketu North Municipality) Best Traditional Establishment
- Kevi Shiloh (Kete Krachi) Best Hotel in the Krachi West District.
- Akatsi North District, the District Support for Tourism award (with special recognition for the Crocodile Resort at Ave Dakpa in the district)
- Continental Spot (Akatsi, Akatsi South District) – Best Pub .
- Humble Pub – Best Pub in the Ketu South Municipality.
- Club 3T Pub – Best Pub in the Keta Municipality
- Jaxn Pub (Peki) – Best Drinking Pub in the South Dayi District
- Evergreen Spot (Juapong) – Best Drinking Bar in the North Tongu District.
13.Agbenorxevi Chop Bar (Ho) – Traditional Catering Services Provider of the Year
- KCS Fast Food (Ho) – Best Fast Food joint of the Year
- CEPS Canteen (Aflao) – Grade Three Restaurant of the Year
- Gold Finger Restaurant (Ho) Grade Two Restaurant of the Year .
- Fadzato/Tagbo Falls (Liati Wote) – Visitor Attraction of the Year.
Tour Care International (Hohoe) – Best Tour Operator
- James-Ocloo Akorli (of Fort Prinzenstein, Keta) – Site Guide of the Year.
- From Home Car Rental (Ho) – Car Rental Service of the Year.
The ceremony, held at the plush Volta Serene Hotel, attracted the media, various personalities, traditional authorities, industry players and stakeholders.
In his welcome address, the Volta Regional Director of the Ghana Tourism Authority, Mr. Alexander Nketiah, said although the tourism industry is becoming increasingly competitive with all players devising various strategies to get ahead, the Volta region has a natural competitive edge with its many tourism endowments. He therefore underscored the need for the region to safeguard our socio-cultural heritage since the tourism industry depends on it.
A new website was therefore launched (www.visitvoltaregion.com) to further boost the digital presence of the tourism industry in the region.