Sylvester Mensah Cleared Off Wrongdoing


….Court Orders Release Of Frozen Accounts

The Financial Court, has ordered the authorities to defreeze all bank accounts of former National Health Insurance Authority (NHIA) boss, Sylvester Mensah.

The Financial Intelligence Center (FIC) got the court to freeze Mr. Mensah’s accounts, arguing its preliminary investigations, showed there was evidence of wrongdoing enough to incriminate him.

The bank accounts of Mr Mensah was frozen, following an ex-parte application to the Fast Track High Court (Financial Division) by the Financial Intelligence Centre.

But the Accra High Court, has ordered the release of all accounts belonging to the former NHIA boss after an application moved by lawyer for the Financial Intelligence Center (FIC), Arthur Chambers.

The accounts were frozen when the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI), was investigating Mr. Mensah over what was being speculated to be financial malpractices that happened at the NHIA, when he was the Chief Executive.

The four accounts were opened at Access Bank, United Bank for Africa (UBA), Energy Bank and Ecobank.

But the FIC after completing its investigations into the allegations, asked the Financial Tax Court, to release the accounts, because it found no wrongdoing against Mr. Mensah.

He had handed himself over to the BNI on New Year’s Day after armed BNI operatives, had stormed his private residence at Tse Addo, near the Trade Fair in Accra, the previous night (December 31, 2015) while in his hometown of Keta in the Volta Region with his family.

Some service providers, reportedly fingered him during interrogations by the BNI,. Based on this he was invited by the (BNI) Director, Pius Awalinga.

Although, BNI officials have denied the invasion, a CCTV recording of the incident captured all seven gunmen, as well as the vehicles with which they went to Mr. Mensah’s house.

Mr. Mensah, subsequently spent over eight hours in assisting the security operatives in gathering information on allegations of false claims by some 10 medical facilities.

He was subsequently released on bail after some eleven hours in custody.

Prior to this, he had been relieved of his post in June 2015, as CEO, after six years in office.

“It’s been an extremely painful experience but a legitimate action, I am happy that there were no adverse findings against me,” Mr. Mensah is reported to have told Joy News’ Raymond Acquah.

Share this:

Share News

submit to reddit