As PNC’s Atik Mohammed Heads To Court Over GH¢74Million Cash
By Alfred Dogbey
It appears the controversy surrounding the whooping GH74 million payment to Subah Infosolution Limited, a subsidiary of Jospong Group of companies, owned by business man, Joseph Siaw Agyapong, will not go away as the company is back in the news again.
Policy Analyst of the People’s National Convention (PNC), Atik Mohammed, who doubles as convener of the pressure group, Mass Action Committee (MAC), has confirmed to this paper his decision to drag SUBAH to court to retrieve the controversial GH74 million paid to the company, as result of a contract agreement between Subbah and the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA).
The PNC Activist, who confirmed the impending legal suit in an interview with The Herald last Tuesday said, “Unlike many other monies that have been given to these companies, as for this particular SUBAH money, we are going to use every legitimate means to ensure that the money is refunded”.
Although Mr. Atik, was reluctant to give details about the law suit and when it will be served on SUBAH, he, however, disclosed that every relevant document had been handed over to his lawyers who have began working on the filing process.
According to him, even though he is dragging the company to court as an individual and not in the name of his pressure group, MAC is solidly behind the move and would use every legitimate means “including the court which is just one step out of many to retrieve the money”.
The ‘Mass Action’ leader told The Herald that the court action became necessary after government failure to response to the one month ultimatum given by MAC which had expired.
He noted that, government has turned deaf ear to his request to among other things, refund all monies paid to Subah, reject the report of the committee that investigated Subah, to launch full scale investigations into the whole SUBAH deal, terminate the Service Agreement
between SUBAH and the Revenue Agencies Governing Board (RAGB).
Though, The Herald drew Mr. Atik’s attention to the said government committee report which cleared Subah from any wrong doing, Mr. Atik insisted that the company had done no work to merit that payment.
Mr. Atik maintained that “Our issue is the execution of that contract, Subah never executed that contract, yet was paid huge sums of money and we think that it is a robbery on the tax payer and that should not be allowed to stand”
This he explained, “The issues involved in the SUBAH deal are many and I may not also want to spill the beans, but we would want to explore every opportunity in the court to ensure the right thing is done”.
He said, “we wish to state emphatically that, a major part of our economic challenges is low tax revenue receipts. This recognition has led Government to introduce all kinds of new taxes and increased the rates of existing ones. Therefore every effort must be made to safeguard the little that accrues and prevent some individuals from deliberately siphoning it into private pockets”.
This effort, he concluded is “our collective responsibility and Mass Action Committee, will go every length to ensure that”.
Efforts to get Mr. Agyapong on his position of the impending law suit proved futile as we were told he had traveled out of the country.