… To Curb NPP Electoral Victory Violence
Kofi Portuphy, has also charged members of the National Democratic Congress (NDC) to defend themselves, if they are attacked by New Patriotic Party (NPP) supporters, and warned that any further attacks against any member of his party, would not go unretaliated.
The NDC National Chairman, suggested “an eye for an eye”; the law of retaliation saying “We want to say in very clear and unequivocal terms that, anybody who tries this after January 7 will not have it easy with the NDC at all. I lie?”
Mr. Portuphy added “I am the leader of the party; I am saying if they attack them they should defend themselves while seeking police protection. They should not fold their hands for the NPP to butcher them to death.”
Mr. Portuphy, expressed disgust at the violent reactions of supporters of the NPP, following their victory in the 2016 general elections.
At a press conference in Accra yesterday, the NDC chairman, said if the NPP attacks persists even after January 7 hand-over of power, the NDC would be left with no option, but to retaliate.
The National Chairman, who has assumed leadership of the party, following President Mahama’s defeat, listed attacks against government and party officials, since the December 9 declaration of the NPP, as winner of the polls.
He mentioned that, the NDC parliamentary candidate for Ejisu Juaben in the Ashanti region, Gloria Hudze “nearly met her untimely death” after some NPP supporters completely damaged her car.
Deputy Minister of Food and Agriculture, Dr. Hannah Louisa Bisiw, was also left traumatized after she was attacked and harassed, while travelling from Techiman to Accra. She had to abandon her car, Kofi Portuphy, said.
He said, NPP members have raided the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO) Headquarters and chased out its National Coordinator, Brigadier General Francis Vib Sanziri, while pro-NDC entertainer known as Mzbel, has had to move out of her home for fear of further acts of intimidation.
He also claimed NPP supporters, have destroyed lights at the recently commissioned, Kwame Nkrumah Interchange as the frenzied jubilation continued.
Properties of Sena Okity-Duah, have been destroyed after she lost the Lezdorkuku parliamentary seat in the Greater Accra reigon to her rival from the NPP, Dr. Oko Boye, the NDC Chairman reported.
There are reports that the NPP thugs, called Invincible Forces, have attacked Tema Motorway tollbooth and also stormed the Tema Habour, in attempt to hijack their operations.
In Fiapre near Sunyani in the Brong Ahafo Region, a tollbooth was burnt by some NPP hooligans, who had attempted sacking an attendant in other to take over the running of the tollbooth.
Despite these claims, the NPP, through its bigwigs, including Sammy Awuku; Youth Organiser, have accused the NDC of exaggerating these reports merely to court public sympathy and also to pain the President-elect, Nana Akufo-Addo, as a violent person.
In most of the reported attacks, only few of them are being dealt with by the police. According to the police, some three persons, have so far been arrested in the post-election violence cases across the country.
“We cannot move in NDC paraphernalia” the National Chairman said flanked by Deputy NDC General Secretary Koku Anyidoho and Director of Elections Samuel Ofosu Ampofo.
“That is democracy indeed” he expressed disgust.
He said, rampaging NPP youths have also taken over some local government-controlled social amenities. “All the toilets have been taken over. Can you imagine?”
The NDC leader however commended the security agencies for efforts it is putting in to contain an outbreak of post-election violence.
He also accused members of the NPP, of destroying the colourful lights fixed at the fountain of the newly inaugurated Kwame Nkrumah Interchange project.
He lamented that further works on the interchange, has come to a standstill, because the workers were being attacked by NPP supporters and described it as shameful acts.
Some supporters of the NPP in the wake of their victory in last Wednesday’s polls, attacked Accra Metropolitan Assembly (AMA) officials at the site and vandalized some government installations, including portions of the Fountain at the Kwame Nkrumah interchange.
The irate NPP elements claimed that those put in-charge of the facility were NDC supporters, hence must leave it for the NPP since there has been a change of government.
The fountain, which is usually opened for public viewing during the day and night after its inauguration in November 2016, is currently not functioning.
“…Shameful attacks on the contractor and workers at the Kwame Nkrumah Interchange popularly known as Dubai have brought the work to a standstill.
The pity of it is the destruction of the colourful lights from the water fountain that flows to the admiration of all.” The 74 million euros project was inaugurated by President John Mahama in November 2016 amidst a huge fanfare.
The project has among other things three flyovers, a colourful water fountain, library, bus terminal, fire, police and ambulance stations.
Meanwhile, a member of the NDC, has allegedly been murdered by a supporter of the NPP at Sefwi Wiawso in the Western Region.
The deceased, Kwame Owusu, who is said to be a nephew of outgoing Western Regional Minister, was reportedly attacked by his assailant, one Mr. Bonney, after the two engaged in a heated political argument.
The assailant went in for a machete and butchered Owusu, leading to his demise.
Mr. Bonney, is currently on the run with police investigations already underway.
Speaking to Connect FM on Monday, December 12, the Sefwi Wiawso Divisional Police Commander, Chief Superintendent, Francis Annor, confirmed the unfortunate incidence.
He assured that Mr. Bonney was a known face in his vicinity and the police would do all they can to arrest him.