More Trouble For Volta NPP

More-Trouble-For-Volta-NPP.jpg

As Ken Anku Joins Legal Battle Against Party

A suit filed by a member of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), against the party’s branch in the Volta Region, which failed to stop the executives from organizing its election last month, has been boosted as another member of the party, has joined the case to seek justice and fairness at the Ho High Court.

Mr George Kofi Boateng, is being backed by another bigwig of the party, a private legal practitioner, Ken Stephen Anku, who has applied to join the case pending at the Ho High Court, challenging the Volta Regional NPP and Makafui Kofi Woanyah, over the April election.

Mr Woanya, was elected NPP regional chairman, despite an injunction slapped on the event, which took place at Hohoe in the Volta Region.

Mr Boateng and Lawyer Anku, are asking the court to annul the election, because the NPP executives disregarded the court order.

Lawyer Anku, just like Mr Boateng, vied for the regional chairman slot.

He went through the various processes, including vetting, campaign but pulled out from the contest, primarily because at the morning of the elections, he was informed that an interlocutory injunction put on the election.

“That in the early hours of the of 21st April 2018 as I prepared to leave my hotel room for the venue of election, I saw and read various mass and social media platforms a posed copy of Honourable Court in favour of one of the aspirants named George Kofi Boateng, who was purportedly disqualified to run for the regional chairmanship position”.

He said, he could not join the rest of the aspirants to contest the election, because he is a law-abiding citizen and also his profession as a lawyer, did not permit him to disrespect the Order of the Court of competent jurisdiction; “Taking into account the effect of non-compliance of the order”.

According to him, knowing the danger ahead, he tried to inform the likes of the Deputy Regional Minister, Maxwell Kofi Blagodzi to inform his boss the Regional Minister and cautioned them that “They were in a danger of being cited for contempt should they go ahead with the conduct of election to elect a regional chairman” but his advice was not heeded to.

The party, despite the Order, went ahead and conducted the election after the process “Stalled for several hours” and elected, Mr Woanyah; one the respondent and “Illegally sworn him into office subsequently”.

Lawyer Anku argued, the party and Mr Woanya, knew that his exclusion from the race having been cleared to contest and spent money to finance his campaign “had the potential to occasion an injustice and or / unfairness to me but went ahead in a Hollywood movie “Rambo style” to deliberately make it extremely difficult for me to actualize the purpose for which I was admitted to exercise my right”.

In the motion to support Mr Boateng, Lawyer Anku, said per the action of the party, he was “Punished for being a law-abiding citizen, an act which is open to surmise that it was orchestrated and deliberately calculated to oust my inclusion as the election committee could not find anything to ground my disqualification during the vetting process”.

On Friday, April 20, 2018, Mr Boateng, through his lawyer Emile Atsu, sought a court injunction from the Ho High Court, ordering the party to stop the delegates’ congress slated for Saturday, April 21, 2018 due to what he described as unfair disqualification from the race to become the next regional chairman of the party.

According to M. Boateng, he met all the requirements and successfully passed through vetting. He claimed he was not treated fairly and resorted to the courts after failed attempts to seek redress using internal party mechanisms. Although he secured the injunction against the exercise, the election was conducted in clear violation of the court’s directive.

The Plaintiff who could not understand the grounds on which he was disqualified stated that during his vetting, he was asked if “It was true that I ever insulted the president when the president was then an opposition candidate”. He said he denied the allegation and subjected the questioner, Ken Ayim, to proof it but he said he was informed on phone.

Following that he was “congratulated” and asked to ballot for his position after which he picked 5th position.

However, on March 30, 2018, he was informed on social media he had been disqualified which was later confirmed by the chairman of the vetting committee, Charles Bob Agbontor, “That I was disqualified based on unproven allegation which is unfair”, he stated in his Thursday April 19, 2018 suit.

Other contestants for the position were; former Volta Regional Manager of Ghana Telecom, Douglas Kirk Wagba; a financier of the party, David Agubiga; and a party activist, Rev. Johnson Avuletey.

 

 

 

 

 

Share News

submit to reddit