Military Cages Civilians At Teshie Guardroom


Kept For Over A Week For Stealing

The men in uniform at the Ghana Military and Training Academy at Teshie, have allegedly ‘caged’ some three civilians, alleged to have stolen from their area.

The three men, including a taxi driver were arrested on June 7, 2014, and are suspected to be languishing in one of the military guardrooms in the Teshie Camp in the Greater Accra Region.

Information gathered from the Military outfit by “The Herald” indicates that the officers, have refused to hand the alleged thieves to the Police for the law to take its course, almost two weeks after they were apprehended.

An anonymous caller, who called this reporter few days ago, expressed worry over the development and wished that something could be done to ensure that their human rights were not trampled upon.

Narrating the story to “The Herald”, the “Good Samaritan” alleged that between the hours of 4am to 5am on June 7, the suspects, were spotted coming from the bush opposite the Teshie Shooting Range adjacent the Ghana Military Academy and Training School by a Police officer, who was taking an early morning jogging in the vicinity.

The Police officer was said to have noticed an unusual happening as he spotted the suspects coming from the bush with some construction materials into a taxi, which they had packed a distance away from the traffic light in front of the Academy.

The Police officer, who thought he could not arrest the three all by himself, alerted the soldiers on guard duty; two female and a male commander.

Immediately the officers were informed, an order was issued for the arrest of the alleged thieves.

Items found on them included, two containers of paints, pvc pipes among other things.

A fourth suspect, who was hiding in the bush at the time of their arrest upon sensing danger, absconded.

Attempts by the Teshie Police, to have them release later that day, proved futile with the military officers insisting that they were going to keep them and send them to the station for the Police to do their investigation and prosecution.

Since the incident over a weeks ago, the whereabouts of the three men, have not been known.

Their families are yet to be contacted too, because the military officers have not handed them over to the Police, who have no power to charge them for an offence and prosecute them.

In a call to the new Military Public Relations Officer (PRO), Lt. Col. Eric Aggrey, he expressed surprise about the incident and explained that he was unaware of it and promised to ascertain the authenticity of the story.

The man, who took over from Colonel M’bawine Atintande as the Director of Public Affairs of the Ghana Armed Forces, however, doubted if the suspects were still with the Military, but promised to get to back to this reporter later, today.

But the question, being asked is that why the military would set free people caught stealing or still being kept more than two weeks after their arrest, instead of handing them over to the police?

Share this:

Share News

submit to reddit