Kufuor Deceives Africa Union On Akufo-Addo


His Thousands Of Missing Votes Unproven, As NPP Beat Up Journalists For Nothing

On December 7, 2012, when Nana Akufo-Addo, his immediate family and countless cousins, were awaiting presidential results that will send him to the Flag Staff House, ex-President John Agyekum Kufuor was celebrating his birthday and was busily partying on expensive drinks, delicious food and good music with his trusted aides at his residence, without paying attention to the results.

On December 10, 2012 three days after the elections, ex-President Kufuor who had turned 74, went to town angry with the conduct of the Electoral Commission (EC) in the 2012 elections, accusing the EC of being responsible for acts of violence sparked by fanatics of New Patriotic Party (NPP), because Nana Addo was cheated.

But Mr. Kufour’s claim could not be mentioned and proved in court by Nana Addo, Dr. Mahamudu Bawumia and Jake Obetsebi-Lamptey, during the 46 days of admitting evidence, which ended last Wednesday.

Mr. Kufour claimed that in one Constituency, as many as 16,000 votes were added to the then presidential candidate of the National Democratic Congress (NDC), John Dramani Mahama, to shore up his figures and to guarantee victory in the election, adding that these manipulations cannot be swept under the carpet, and insisted that the NPP was going to provide evidence.

At a meeting, ex-President Kufuor told the African Union (AU) Chairman and President of Benin, Yayi Boni, who paid a courtesy call on him at his Dzorwulu residence that Monday, saying the NPP has enough evidence to show that figures were massaged to favour the NDC.

The AU chair wanted ex-president Kufuor to prevail upon the NPP flagbearer, Nana Akufo-Addo to concede defeat in a closely fought election, which saw the NPP candidate lose by a little over 300,000 votes to the incumbent, President John Mahama.

The ex-president said, Nana Akufo-Addo feels cheated in an election dogged with several manipulations of figures.

Mr. Kufuor said, the country had invested over GH¢100 million in the EC to conduct a peaceful, free and fair elections, but the happenings, during and after the elections, have not justified the investment made in them, accusing the EC of not been above the law, a position which he said, should not be tolerated.

At the time ex-President Kufuor, was making these comments, NPP fanatic had besieged Obra Spot at Kwame Nkrumah Circle in Accra, vandalizing cars and other properties, beating up innocent people with sticks, clubs among other implements.

Journalists from Joy FM, TV3, Metro TV, Peace FM and other media houses had been beaten, with some injured as the NPP fanatics described them as bias, because they had declared provisional election result for the NDC.

Andy Ntiamoah, Sammy Boadi of TV3, Naa Kwarley Quartey of Metro TV, Manasseh Awuni, Azuri, Sedem Ofori and Kojo Oppong Nkrumah all of Joy FM, were either attacked physically or verbally.

The NPP later sent Nana Akomea and Oboshie Sai-Coffie to apologise on its behalf, of the false accusations and violence visited on the above mentioned journalists and their media houses.

With the high tension and insecurity, Agoo FM and Radio Gold, had to request for Police and Military protection to be able to broadcast.

At the busy commercial hub of Accra, Makola traders had to flee for fear of their dear lives, as some NPP fanatics had beaten up one NDC woman, leading her party’s fanatics also charging into the Rawlings Park area of the market with machetes in reprisal attacks.

Sammy Awuku, had earlier led other thugs to the offices of the Superlock Technology Limited (STL), an Israeli private company, claiming that they had massaged electoral results for the NDC. Not even pleas from ex-Nigerian President Olusegun Obasanjo, were heeded as the thugs threatened to burn the company.

But when the gate was opened for the NPP to file its petition to the Supreme Court, it took months. No case of vote rigging was pleaded, although word on the streets especially Kumasi and Koforidua were that the EC had rigged the elections for John Mahama.

The petitioners rather pleaded malpractices, irregularities, constitutional and statutory violations.
Lawyer Philip Addison, who last Monday attempted to prove rigging, specifically mentioned the Ledzokuku Constituency as one of the areas where about 15,000 votes were padded in favour of President Mahama.

But Mr. Tsatsu Tsikata, the NDC lead counsel described his claim as a “patent falsehood” forcing Philip Addison to abandon the claim. Mr. Tsikata had described the NPP’s case at the Supreme Court as a “fishing expedition”.

Last Wednesday, President of the Supreme Court panel hearing the Presidential Election Petition, brought proceedings to a dramatic close by paraphrasing Kwame Nkrumah’s famous statement, “at long last the battle is over.”

After Counsel for the parties signalled to the court that they were done with their arguments, Justice William Atuguba, cried, “At long last the battle of evidence is over,” to a rapturous applause.

He finished at 5:00pm. Tsatsu Tsikata counsel for NDC also did a three minutes re-examination of the witness.

After this, Atuguba, who looked visibly delighted, announced that the battle of evidence was over. He paraphrased the popular declaration by Ghana’s first President- Kwame Nkrumah when he said on the eve of Independence in March 1957 “At long last the battle has ended. Ghana, your beloved country is free forever”.

Before the laughter died down, he singled out the Chairman of the Electoral Commission, Dr.Afari-Gyan who had stepped out of the witness for mockery.

“When you tell people go to court, go to court, it is not that simple”. This provoked further laughter.

He also announced that the parties were to submit their written addresses by July 30, 2013. The Judges will give a ruling on the Petition after perusing their addresses.

Share this:

Share News

submit to reddit