Gabby Otchere-Darko Tells Otumfuo As Kumasi Journalists Hide Audiotape
Gabby Asare Otchere-Darko, the powerful nephew of President Nana Akufo-Addo, has hit back at the Asante monarch Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, saying he is not “so stupid”to be undermining him, as being alleged by the revered traditional leader.
Last week, at the Manhyia Palace in Kumasi, a furious Asante monarch, specifically named Mr Otchere-Darko and the president’s Executive Secretary, Nana Asante Bediatuo, as plotting to denigrate him and bring him down.
But responding to Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, Mr Otchere-Darko wrote on his Facebook page: “Am I so stupid that I would work against my own interest and turn one-half of me against the other half by inciting my mother’s people against my father’s people; that I would bite the very hand that feeds us politically? Perplexing”.
Many have argued that, Mr Otchere-Darko’s post, smacks of arrogance and a direct insult to Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, that he should not have reacted to the traditional ruler, but found a better way of addressing the matter by meeting the king over it.
Executive Secretary, Nana Asante Bediatuo, who was also mentioned by Otumfuo Osei Tutu II, is yet to author a word on the matter, except to have another family member; Nana Fredua Ofori-Atta, a member of the NPP Communication team talking for him.
Nana Fredua Ofori-Atta, mentioned Bediatuo’s school days in Prempeh College – Kumasi and his friendship with lots of Ashantis, who attend his events in Kyebi and other places, adding he would not do anything to undermine the Golden Stool.
Interestingly, the audiotape in which Mr. Otchere-Darko, and the president’s Executive Secretary, Nana Asante Bediatuo, were mentioned cannot be traced suggesting a subtle attempt to bury the sound.
No radio station in Kumasi and Accra, has been able to play the sound. The Herald, has also made several attempts to get the tape, but to no avail, leaving one wondering whether money has exchanged hands within political circles to prevent the tape from being aired.
Meanwhile, a group called Concerned Youth of Ashanti led by Dr. Nana Agyenim Boateng, has come out to confirm the allegations.
“A couple of years ago under the leadership of Akufo-Addo, his nephew and relatives started making some comments concerning the Asantehene and the Asantehene himself mentioned Gabby Asare Otchere-Darko and Asante Bediatuo at the Manhyia Palace. Everything they are saying about the Asantehene, he is in Manhyia Palace but he has heard of it”, Dr. AgyenimBoateng told Accra-based Starr FM in an interview on Thursday, May 3.
Ashanti Regional Chairman of the governing New Patriotic Party (NPP), Bernard Antwi Boasiako (Chairman Wontumi) and other leading figures of the NPP, including Acting General Secretary, John Boadu; Ashanti Regional Minister, Simon Osei-Mensah, as well as the Regional Coordinator of the National Disaster Management Organisation (NADMO), Kwabena Senkyire, went to the Manyhia Palace on Wednesday, May 2, 2018, for a different purpose but got confronted by the enraged monarch who revealed to them that certain people close to the seat of government were making disparaging comments about him and also pitching him against the people of Akyem Abuakwa Traditional Area – native town of President Nana Akufo-Addo, Mr Otchere-Darko and Nana Asante Bediatuo.
This prompted an instant groveling apology by the four leading figures of the NPP, who fell on their knees before the traditional leader.
Others have also revealed that Otumfuor’s beef with the Akyem Mafia, is not an overnight development. It is a buildup of many incidents of disrespect and insults directed at the person of the Asante King.
1) The Akyem Mafia were behind the fake Free Press publication after the Supreme Court Petition accusing Otumfuor of bribing the judges on President Mahama’s behalf.
2) Bediatuo had an open quarrel with Madam Georgia of Georgia Hotel, at her restaurant at Roman Ridge, because he was insulting Otumfuor in public. Bediatuo later said he was just recounting history that Otumfuor’s predecessors head was cut by the Akyems and the skull is still in the Kyebi palace.
3) Ken Ofori Atta’s partner Templeton was prompted to ask Otumfuor a rude question at an investment forum in London in 2013. Otumfuor protested to Nana Addo on this matter.
4) Recently in SA, when Ken Ofori Atta was invited to call on Otumfuor, who was there for medical review, he rudely said he was not in SA to be “greeting chiefs.”
5) Nana Addo was in Kumasi last weekend for a major national event – May day. He did not have the courtesy to call on the Otumfuor or even send to greet him.
6) Two incidents, one in UK and one in SA are also cited among Otumfuor’s beefs. The first is that, recent allegations of money laundering in UK, were spread by the “Akyem mafia”. second is that, news about Otumfuor buying a palatial residence in SA spread into the media, only after Nana Addo visited him accompanied by Bediatuo and some others of the Akyem Mafia. Noting that former Presidents Kufuor and Mahama had visited him at the same residence without anyone knowing about it.