Gov’t Lied About US$30 Million Missing Cocaine

Front-E56.jpg

….No Probe Ongoing; Officials Still At Post.

 You might want to stop waiting on the Akufo-Addo government to disclose the findings of a promised investigation on the alleged 500kg missing cocaine from the Tema Port, because nothing is being looked into; no probe ongoing and officials are still at post.

Credible information picked up by The Herald indicates that, there is no such investigation going on, contrary to assurance by the Akufo-Addo administration that the security agencies were going to launch a probe into it, three months after the consignment went missing.

This paper’s sources within the security set up and the Ministry of Interior, Narcotic Control Board (NACOB) and Customs and Excise and Preventive Service (CEPS) of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) say, officers under whose watch the 10 bags of suspected cocaine each weighing 50kg (500kg in all) hidden in a consignment of rice, with an estimated street value of about $30million, are still at post conducting their official duties.

The three officers led by Felicia Wuaku, who heads a unit called Joint Port Control Unit (JPCU) together with Francis Worlanyo Kpegah and Henry Safo Brian, are still at their work places, while the public has been made to believe that something is going to come out of a purported probe.

JPCU, is made up of officials from the Bureau of National Investigations (BNI), the Police, NACOB and CEPS.

They are mandated to inspect suspicious goods that come into the country through the Tema Port.

The three officers, Felicia Wuaku Worlanyo Kpegah and Henry Safo Brian officials of NACOB, are alleged to have handled the case on the blind side of the second in command, a CEPS officer by name, Mustapha Dadzie.

He was supposed to be present before the container was moved, but report say, because the officials knew what they were about, he was kept away.

Interestingly, Felicia and Francis, are alleged to have traveled abroad before the disappearance of the illegal substance in February 2017.

Sources say, there had been suspicion about the two before and after the incident happened.

Last month, a pro-New Patriotic Party (NPP) newspaper, the Finder, published the disappearance of the said cocaine under the supervision of officers at the port.

The paper owned by Minister for Business Development, Awal Mohammed at the time, said officers under whose watch the substance got missing were still at post.

Following that expose, officials at the port, denied the disappearance of the cocaine and government promised it was going to look into it, to bring finality to the issue which took many people aback.

But per The Herald’s sources, the government has sanctioned no probe, maybe hoping the public will forget about it and not ask just like many other promised investigations which were never followed up.

It was argued that if indeed, the said investigation was ongoing; the above mentioned officials, would have been interdicted to pave way for uninterrupted work.

Last year, a ship carrying five containers with the cocaine on board arrived at the Tema Port in December 2016, but the suspected cocaine vanished before February 23, 2017, after all stakeholders conducted compulsory tests on the container with all the technology available.

The K9 Dogs, which are specially trained to detect cocaine, confirmed traces of the substance in the said container, while UK’s Operation Westbridge, also conducted sampling by the use of itemizers, which also confirmed traces of the narcotic drugs.

After every search confirmed that there were traces of cocaine, an embargo was placed on the containers to ensure that it was not touched till further direction.

After the news of the missing cocaine, the Sector Commander of CEPS of the Ghana Revenue Authority (GRA) at the Tema Port, Confidence Nyadzi, dismissed the claim by the Finder newspaper that 500kg of cocaine had disappeared from the Port.

He was, however, countered by the editor, Elvis Darko, who stood by his story when he was called on Accra-based Citi FM to react to Mr. Nyadzi’s outright dismissal of the claim.

More to come!

Share News

submit to reddit