By Cecil Mensah
The elders of the Abor Ewusi Royal of Gomoa Fete in the Central Region, have appealed to the President, John Dramani Mahama, and the National Security apparatus to help unravel the mystery behind the murder of the late Nana Kwame Okyere Pantu, the Mankralo of Gomoa Fete, who was shot in front of his house at Fete Kakraba; a town close to the Liberia refugee camp in February this year.
Speaking at an emotionally charged press conference in Accra, Mr Stephen Akon Mensah, secretary to the family clad red said, tension was brewing at Gomoa Fete over the murder of the stool head and Mankralo of the area.
According to him, the murder of the stool head by unidentified assassins, has something to do with the Fete Chieftaincy dispute that begun in 1997.
He said, eight persons namely; Nana Kofi Baah, Abusuapayin Kwaku Mensah, Nana Kwasi Essel Sey, Kwasi Yorbo, Kow Gyabaah Barnor, Kwasi Boadi and Abiodu Ibrahim, were arrested by the Police during their investigations and put before the law court prosecution.
“We were shocked to hear that two of the suspects, Kweku Essel Sey and one other, have been released on bail.
And this has created serious tension among the people of Gomoa, who are not happy about events after the killing, arrest and bail of the suspects “, he said
He said, majority of the people in the area are living in fear and planning to dessert the area because their lives are danger.
He said, when the two suspects were granted bail, the family petitioned against the bail for the two suspects to the Chief Justice (CJ), Madam Georgina Wood, and copied to the President, the Inspector-General of Police (IGP) and others, because the brain behind the murder of the stool head is the main suspect Nana Abor Yamoah II and his chief land guard, Kwasi Alhaji are walking free, despite the fact that they
earlier threatened the deceased on several occasion.
He questioned whether suspects in murder, rape and defilement are granted bail, when new suspects have not been arrested.
As a matter of fact, “our security is at stake and we have been informed that an unknown group is also planning to eliminate some us who are making things difficult for them in the area.
Because we have resolved in our actions to pursue justice for the late chief, the story about the killing of the late Chief is an open secret; that is the reason why we have made several appeals to bring those involved in the crime to book”
Throwing more lights on the chieftaincy issue, he said the National House of Chief, has deleted the name of Nana Abor Yamoah II, known in private life as Edward Acquaye, the disputed Chief of Fete from the register since last week.
He said, the decision by the Chiefs, follows a ruling by the Winneba High Court, presided over by Justice Adjei Wilson on June 10, 2014, which instructed the National House of Chiefs to strike out the name of Nana Abor Yamoah II from its register, since he was not properly enstooled and was wrongfully gazetted.
He said, the court directed that within twenty eight days from the date of the ruling of the court, the National House of Chiefs, sets down a schedule for the determination of the entry of the name of Nana Yamoah II from the register.