Egypt has criticised a decision by the US to suspend a large part of the $1.3bn (£810m) in aid it receives.
Foreign ministry spokesman Badr Abdelatty said the decision was wrong and Egypt would “not surrender to American pressure and is continuing on its path towards democracy”.
The US announced on Wednesday it was suspending the delivery of large-scale military systems and withholding cash assistance to the Egyptian government.
It follows months of political turmoil.
Since the Egyptian army ousted Mohammed Morsi as president in July, the authorities have clashed repeatedly with his Muslim Brotherhood supporters.
The US state department launched a review of its aid to Egypt in August after a crackdown that left hundreds of people dead.
On Wednesday, it said it would halt the delivery of Apache helicopters, as well as Harpoon missiles and tank parts.
Washington would also halt a $260m cash transfer and a $300m loan guarantee, officials said.
The freeze was not intended to be permanent, the state department added.
“We will continue to hold the delivery of certain large-scale military systems and cash assistance to the government pending credible progress toward an inclusive, democratically elected civilian government through free and fair elections,” state department spokeswoman Jen Psaki said.
The BBC’s Kim Ghattas in Washington says the suspension of aid is more symbolic than a painful cut in essential aid.
The announcement had been expected, with deliveries of military hardware already halted, a military exercise cancelled, and cash aid in effect on hold since the summer, our correspondent says.
The US will continue to provide health and education assistance, and money to help Egypt to ensure security in the increasingly volatile Sinai peninsula.