African leaders will gather ahead of the 32nd African Union Summit, to launch a new initiative aimed at increasing commitments for health and accelerating path towards Universal Healthcare Coverage
What: African Heads of State and Government, business leaders and global health organisations will gather on 9 February 2019 in Addis Ababa to launch a new initiative designed to help deliver increased, sustained and more impactful financing for health across Africa.
According to the 2018 WHO Global Health Expenditure Database, African countries are gradually increasing domestic investments in health with 35 out of 55 AU Member States (over 64%) having increased the percentage of their Gross Domestic Product invested in health over the previous financial year. These increased investments have seen visible results in communities across Africa with shining examples of strengthened sub-national and national health systems.
However, while African countries have made huge strides in increasing domestic investments in health, only 2 out of the 55 AU Member States meet Africa’s target of dedicating at least 15% of the government budget to health and do not reach the suggested threshold of US$86.30 per person required to provide a basic package of health services. For the world’s most youthful continent, future growth and prosperity depends on developing and nurturing human capital.
However, more than half of Africa’s population currently lacks access to essential health services, and millions die every year from commonly preventable diseases.
Chaired by HE President Paul Kagame, President, Republic of Rwanda; concurrent Chair, African Union and AIDS Watch Africa, the Africa Leadership Meeting: Investing in Health will be the first platform bringing together governments, private sector and the global development community, to coordinate and accelerate progress toward achieving universal health coverage.
When: The Africa Leadership Meeting: Investing in Health will take place on the side-lines of the 32nd African Union Summit, from 15:00 to 18:30 hours on the 9th of February 2019.
Where: Lalibela Ballroom, Hotel Sheraton, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia. Directorate of Information and Communication. African Union Commission E mail: email@example.com
Who: The Meeting will be co-hosted by the Republic of Rwanda and the African Union Commission.
- Chaired by HE President Paul Kagame, President, Republic of Rwanda; Chair, African Union.
- Panels include Heads of State and Government, African Union Commission Senior Leadership and Key Private Sector Leaders.
- Special Guests: H.E. Erna Solberg, Prime Minister, Norway, H.E. António Guterres, Secretary- General of the United Nations and Mr. Bill Gates, Co-Chair, Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Partner organisations include: The Global Fund to fight AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria, Gavi the Vaccine Alliance, WHO, Georgetown University, Africans for Africa, Africa Health Business, African Development Bank, UN Foundation and the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation.
- Journalists are invited cover the outcomes of the Africa Leadership Meeting: Investing in Health
- A press release to communicate the outcomes of the meeting will be issued soon after the meeting.
- A press conference will be held at the end of the Meeting.
- Journalists planning to attend the event should be accredited for the Summit on the following link, https://au.int/en/summit/32/accreditation
- Interview opportunities with key figures attending the event will be available upon request.
African Media Inquiries and requests should be directed to:
African Union Commission
- Wynne Musabayana I Head of Communication Division | Information and Communication Directorate | African Union Commission | E-mail: MusabayanaW@africa-union.org
- Gamal Eldin Ahmed A. Karrar | Senior Communication Officer | Information and Communications Directorate | E-mail: GamalK@africa-union.org
- Tawanda Chisango | Senior Communication Advisor | Africa Leadership Meeting: Investing in Health | Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
International media inquiries and requests should be directed to:
- Portland Communications press office
- Tatiana Audi, Press Office
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7554 1760
- Zara Rubin, Press Office
Telephone: +44 (0) 20 7554 1730
For further information: