…After Another Road Carnage…
The killing of a female student of the West Africa Senior High School (WASS) on the Madina-Adentan Highway in the Greater Accra region, has triggered fresh outrage.
The incident, which happened yesterday afternoon, sparked a spontaneous protest again on the highway by residents in the area.
The residents blocked the highway as part of the protest, burning tyres and making it impossible for vehicles to and from Aburi to use the highway.
The police responded to control the protesters, but had a hard time, following a clash with the protesters.
The deceased is said to be a 22-year-old female student of WASS, who was attempting to cross the highway after going to the school to get registered for the gold track.
Students under the gold track semester system are expected to go to school this weekend.
The accident becomes the 195th recorded on the Madina-Adentan Highway in 2018 alone.
The body has since been picked up by the Adentan police Motor Transport and Traffic Department (MTTD) in their pick-up, and headed towards the Adentan police station. It was not certain which morgue they were going to deposit the body.
An eyewitness said when the vehicle, which was a taxi knocked down the student at about 4pm, the driver stopped, came out of the car to look at the deceased who was lying in a pool of blood, when the driver saw the crowd approaching and sensing danger, he went back into the vehicle and speed off.
He reportedly went to the police station according to the eyewitness.
A young lady, was last Friday night knocked down by a car on the Adentan stretch of the Madina-Adentan-Aburi highway and killed in a similar way.
The lady, popularly referred to as Ataa, was crossing the highway with the boyfriend at the area near the SDA Intersection when the vehicle knocked her down at about 8pm.
Passers-by claim that another speeding vehicle run over her when she fell upon the first impact.
A middle-aged woman was also feared dead after a KIA truck knocked her down at Fire Stone on the Madina – Adenta – Aburi Highway earlier this week.
The protestors blocked the road with burning tyres.
Some of the protesters who spoke to Citi News said they are agitating because “we don’t want to allow this to happen again. This has been happening since Monday and we can’t be receiving the assurance that it shall be well and yet people are being knocked down every day.”
“If the government does not do anything about it, we are not going to allow anyone to use this road,” another protester said.
When the police arrived at the scene to restore law and order, the protesters pelted the police with stones and the police responded with the firing of tear gas canisters, rubber bullets, water cannons and also whipped some of the protesters.
Officers of the Ghana National Fire Service (GNFS) were on the scene to put out the fire while the police are at the scene to control the irate residents.
There is massive traffic jam on the road as one part of it has been closed due to the action of the angry residents.
Fred Djabanor of Citi FM, has said the protesters say they are not opening the road until something is done about the situation.
A handful of police officers are no match for the vengeful mob. But police reinforcements arrived moments later. Gun shots from the police pierced a car, injuring a woman and her son.
Stones are flying into the police. “They are flying from all directions” Joy News’ Komla Adom reported. The police officers are firing gun shots in reply.
The residents have been protesting the lack of footbridges on the road saying they will embark on a demonstration next week over the unavailability of footbridges on the highway.
There was some chaos on the Adenta-Oyarifa road last Friday evening as some residents of Adenta Barrier staged a demonstration to demand the construction of footbridges.
The protest was sparked after a resident was killed in a hit-and-run incident that same evening.
The Member of Parliament (MP) for Madina, Alhaji Boniface Saddiq Abubakar, earlier this week said the Ministry of Roads and Highways is in talks with the contractor of the Madina-Adenta highway to return to the site and complete construction of the footbridges.
Saddiq Abubakar said the contractor will return to the site following the payment of arrears owed him.
“Apparently the contract was not canceled. But unfortunately, NDC was not dealing with the contractor because they were not making payments to the contractor and so he had to withdraw his services. But when we came back and started discussions, I took the matter to Cabinet when I was the minister for Inner Cities and Zongo Development. I had a series of discussions with the minister who has been helpful. Finally, it was accepted by the president in Cabinet that we must renew the contract and ensure that the contractor goes back to the site and completes the project,” he added in an interview on the Citi Breakfast Show on Tuesday.