790 LUSPA staff transferred from Civil Service to LGS

Nana-Dwamena-Head-of-Civil-Service.jpg

Dr Nana Ato Arthur, the Head of the Local Government Service (LGS), said the sustainability and resilience of Metropolitan, Municipal and District Assemblies (MMDAs) depend on the integration of development policies and spatial dimension in the design of national, regional and district level interventions with all stakeholders.

He said, in order to achieve the aforementioned goal, the agency was making sure that Performance contracts for Regional Coordinating Council (RCCs) and MMDAs would contain the indicators that established and integrated the Physical Planning Department and all other departments.
Dr Ato Arthur said this at a ceremony in Accra on Friday to transfer 790 staff of the Land Use and Spatial Planning Committee (LUSPA), formerly Town and Country Planning Department, at the sub-national level from the Civil Service to the Local Government Service (LGS).

He said there will be continuous sensitization on the Inter-Service and Sectoral Collaboration and Cooperation System (ISCCS) and the monitoring of the integration of the departments.
Dr Ato Arthur stated that the Local Governance Act, 2016 (Act 936) had elevated the Human Resource Units of the Service to a Departmental status to give it more power to operate.
He, therefore, called on all RCCs and MMDAs to take note and act accordingly, adding that, administrative instructions with detailed modalities would follow soon.
The Head of Service said progress is being made on the decentralisation of the Health and Education Sectors and the migration of Local Government Inspectors into the Internal Audit Class of the Service as provided in the Local Governance Act.
He said his outfit was committed to providing “first class working conditions” for them to serve as motivation in ensuring effective service delivery.

Nana Kwesi Agyekum Dwamena, the Head of the Civil Service  urged newly recruited staffs of the LGS to discharge their duties with professionalism to ensure effective service delivery.
He said Local Government staffs were pivotal in the socio-economic development at the local levels by serving as a channel between the people and the Government.
“I know that the LGS play significant role in the implementation of policies and programmes of government at the local levels. This, therefore, requires that the right calibre of staff to do the work are available so that the mandate of the Service can be properly executed,” he said.
Nana Dwamena said 81 per cent of the recruits would operate from the offices of the MMDAs, whilst the other 19 per cent would be sent to the office of the RCCs.
He called on the staff to continue working tirelessly as they had done for their former agency.
Mr Lawrence Dakurah, the Chief Executive Officer of the LUSPA, on his part, was pleased by the work done by the Physical Planning Department for equipping the recruits with the expertise to aid them deliver on their mandate, despite the numerous challenges.
He urged the LGS to put in conscious efforts to address other challenges faced by the officers, adding, “the Physical Planning Department has a crucial role in the development of this nation, and I urge all public service organisations and the private sector to support it to enhance its performance.”

 

 

Share News

submit to reddit